Tuesday, August 28, 2007

What I Did for My Summer Vacation: Democracy in Action

Some kids went to the beach this summer, waited up all night for the release of Harry Potter or sat on the couch channel surfing. I worked. Lucky me, and I mean that with all sincerity.

While other college students read political philosophy books, I got to see democracy in action. For six weeks, I interned at Congressman Mike Doyle’s office in downtown Pittsburgh. Many of my friends who had already interned at other offices said it was boring and tedious work like envelope stuffing. This wasn’t so at for me. Some of my work was answering phones and directing constituents, but I also was directly involved in over 100 passport cases.

As you may well know, this summer was a disaster for the State Department and passports. But I got some unique insight into what a Congressman really does. Members of Congress actually do help their constituents! Lots of apathetic teens and young adults may find this as a greater shock than the latest Britney Spears scandal, but it’s true. Congressmen have staff that does all sorts of things like help you expedite your passport, help find government housing if you qualify, or even understand how to apply for student loans. However, the most important thing I noticed in Congressman Doyle’s office was that constituents could leave their opinion and be heard, not just call if they had a problem with a Federal agency.

Let me go into some of the details on Congressional passport processes. Most of what happens is pretty simple. A constituent calls in to track a passport they applied for over 16 weeks ago. I take down some information and contact details. After the phone call I contact the National Passport Agency to locate their passport. If it isn’t done, I can request an “expedite” or even a Congressional Upgrade or a same-day-issue if the travel date is within 48 hours. Afterwards, I contact the constituent on how the case is being handled and possible outcomes. Most congressional work is like that. There are processes and appeals that the congressman’s office staff goes through to ensure that it is either the right outcome or, if something’s wrong, correct and appeal any errors and decisions from Federal agencies.

Another very important role of the congressman is to listen to constituent opinion on legislation. I received many calls and messages about immigration and Medicare reform. However, I was a little disappointed in the lack of youth participation on important national issues. Again, I think young adults are seriously disenfranchised with government for many reasons and become apathetic because they feel insignificant. That couldn’t be more inaccurate. It is our silence that makes us insignificant.

An old saying is “the squeaky wheel gets the oil” and it holds true for government. You need to be involved, yes you’re young and maybe not as experienced, but it’s all good. You still have energy (after a trip to Starbuck’s) and you can make a difference if you put forth the effort. After working in Congressman Doyle’s office, I knew that being involved in my government was a right, a duty, and a joy. Congressman Doyle and his awesome staff showed me what a Congressman did and that my voice did matter.

In his office, every constituent counted, no matter who he/she was. Action wasn’t reserved only for the powerful; help was given where it could to all who asked. Working in Congressman Doyle’s office affirmed my faith in government and assured me that there is a place for young Americans to be involved.

-Rita Turpin

(Rita is a member of the PAYD Communications Committee and attends American University in Washington, DC. Congressman Mike Doyle, pictured, represents Pennsylvania's 14th Congressional District and is a tremendous supporter of PAYD.)

No comments: